C-G-D schools deal with eventful Monday, Gas leak leads to high school evacuation

Information provided by Superintendent Dr. Bob Olson

            On Monday, September 9, a gas odor was discovered in the chemistry room at Clarion-Goldfield-Dows High School. Mid-American Energy was contacted and students evacuated to the Presbyterian Church for about one hour and forty minutes.  A small gas line leak was located and the danger eliminated.  Students were returned to school at about 9:45 am and a shortened schedule was used.

            That same morning, the elementary and middle school experienced a power outage, as did other portions of Clarion.  It was learned that the outage was due to an animal issue.  Power was out for about an hour and forty-five minutes.  Classes were conducted despite no electricity.

            The district would like to thank Pastor Bill Kem, who graciously allowed the high school students and staff to stay in the Presbyterian Church while the gas leak issue was being addressed.  We also were thankful for bus drivers who were on-call throughout the time the students were away from campus.  Once the all clear was given, the students were returned to the high school.  We also would like to thank MidAmerican, first responders, and staff who were at the high school, addressing the leak and safety concerns.


Wright County Monitor

P.O. Box 153
107 2nd Avenue N.E.
Clarion, IA 50525
Phone: 515-532-2871
FAX: 1-800-340-0805
Email: cmonitor@mchsi.com

Mid-America Publishing

This newspaper is part of the Mid-America Publishing Family. Please visit www.midampublishing.com for more information.